General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add mechanism to get location-specific Tweets when new events are added

When a new event is added in the system, have a way to send the tweet to users that are interested in a specific area.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Admin →

The biggest hurdle to overcome here is that Twitter only allows a certain number of updates per hour. If the site DM’ed every user when new events came up, it would easily exceed that limit.

A current workaround is to use the advanced search feature of twitter which allows you to search by location: http://search.twitter.com/advanced

Filter for tweets from sf4answers which have the hashtags #sf4 (and/or #ssf4 for when it comes out) and within the radius of the area you want to get event notifications for.

You can then subscribe to that in an RSS reader.

Of course, you can get filtered RSS feeds from the site itself (as well as calendar feeds), so its a little roundabout.

• Add a tag index

A page where we can view all tags (with each tag linking to the listing of all content with that tag, obviously), either listed alphabetically or by frequency of use.

4 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

Great idea. How exactly would you want to navigate such a tag index? Do you simply want it to be a list of tags, with maybe some stats about how many items it is associated with (along with a way to filter it) or are there better, easier ways to navigate these tags?

• Add the ability to the event section so that continuous events can be posted.

Make it so the "Start Date" and "End Date" Areas can have text that's not just numbers (maybe so I can type "n/a" or "continuous").

And if an event like this is reported to no longer be running then it will be taken off.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

It’s a good idea, but there are two points to be made around this which I don’t have good solutions to right now:

- Most events (even in a series) don’t happen on a consistent freqnecy, so “every Friday”, “every other Friday”, might not always apply (or, am I missing the point on this, there are more regular events like this which outweigh the number of one-offs on the site?)

- If the events don’t occur anymore, people usually aren’t responsible for removing the event from the calendar (this is based on other systems I’ve observed).

I’m not sure how to alleviate the concerns above and make it as easy as possible for the community.

Any suggestions/followup along these lines would be greatly appreciated.

• Create a SF jargon and terms list

Complete list of SF jargon. Such as... what is frame advantage, block stun, throw tech, hit confirm, ect..? and explanations of abreviations. DP, or DF, F, FDAC, ect...

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Update 7/5/2010:

Just switching to planned, will be a definite feature.

Based on the feedback, we think that having separate pages are better than having one page with all the terms.

However, we also feel that there should be a separate section.

Under consideration for the names are:

- Terminology
            - Glossary
            - Dictionary

Anyone could add one and the restrictions on editing would be somewhat low.

• Font used in WYSIWYG should be the same font used in the resulting post

I'm always surprised whenever the post I wrote in the WYSIWYG doesn't look like the final post

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Agreed. The stylesheets for the WYSIWYG editor just do not match, and they most definitely should. There should be no (or at least as little) discrepancy as possible between the editor experience and what is shown.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base